P H I L O S O P H Y
Fully aware of our current condition — widespread stigma and discrimination, we reaffirm and assert that:
The advancement and protection of the rights and responsibilities of persons with different sexual orientation and gender identity is part and parcel of our development as a people. The absence of such rights, which is a basic human right, is a hindrance to fully recognize all people as equal.
The government has the responsibility to ensure the full participation of persons with different sexual orientation and gender identity in all aspects of nation-building. And our community has the responsibility to ensure that such rights are recognized and fully appreciated and respected.
Empowering LGBT communities primarily, and non-LGBTs, secondarily, play a vital role in advancing and attaining a truly just and democratic society that is forever grateful of our existence.
V I S I O N
We look forward for a society that is just, humane and democratic. Thus, we cry for EQUALITY and RESPECT.
M I S S I O N
We are committed to ensure the understanding and all-round promotion of the rights and responsibilities of the LGBT community.
G O A L S
1. Assist LGBT organizations in the communities in their efforts to unite and collectively advance their problems and concerns so that their problems are addressed and their participation in community affairs improved.
2. Establish LGBT groups in communities where there is none.
3. Unite with non-LGBT sectors in their struggles and concerns and actively participate in the people’s movement for change.
4. To become a credible resource center in the Bisaya speaking communities on matters related to LGBT concerns.
H I S T O R Y A N D P R O F I L E
Established since 2005, Bisdak Pride, Inc. (BPI) is a product of the First Visayas-Mindanao LGBTQ Leadership Conference entitled, “In The Pink of Health” funded by the Royal Norwegian Embassy held in Davao City on September 25-27, 2005.
Contrary to some misguided notion, Bisdak Pride, Inc. is not exclusive to LGBT communities. The interests of non-LGBTs on issues directly related to their relationship with their LGBT brother/s, sister/s and friends are accommodated in this organization. We consider them as honorary members and advocates of LGBT rights.
Bisdak Pride, Inc. is committed to provide all-round educational discussions and other support to LGBT groups and non-LGBTs in order for the former to fully appreciate life’s beauty and the latter to comprehend with much gusto of our existence. For the past several years, Bisdak Pride, Inc. also help in the organizing efforts of several groups and despite very limited resources we facilitated in providing discussions and workshops on the following topics:
P R O G R A M S
1. Queer Politics: ADVANCING POLITICAL PARTICIPATION THROUGH A RIGHTS-BASED APPROACH. Rights and Responsibilities of LGBTs are discussed and helping them in their organizing efforts linked to their sexuality are given due importance in order for them to deal and view their political life and participation effective in community affairs.
2. Queer Health: PROMOTING HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS. Issues and concerns on matters related to health in particular the prevention of STI/STDs and HIV/AIDS are prioritized. Common health problems that LGBTs faced and how to cope with these diseases and illnesses are provided through educational discussions as a preventive measure, primarily. Referral to friendly clinics and medical practitioners are also practiced especially to those who are incapable of medical support.
3. Queer Religion: UNDERSTANDING RELIGION AND SEXUALITY. It is an effective instrument in countering the attack of the “moralists”. Provided primary to focus group discussions, forums, discernments and Bible in context activities to LGBTs.
4. Queer Culture: PROMOTION OF CULTURE AND ARTS. Aimed at popularizing the culture and the arts to the general public wherein the LGBT community is known to excel.